Friday, January 11, 2008

"Spanky" Bateman at it Again

According to a press release available 11 January 2008 at the PRWeb.com web site, "Blended Family Dad Hiking Across America on Behalf of Fathers," William "Spanky" Bateman is going to be starting another southbound hike on the Appalachian Trail on 1 June 2008.

I met Spanky in Connecticut during his 2002 "Hike for kids". This year's hike is a "Hike for dads."
"'When I first hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2002, I quickly discovered there was more to hiking the A.T. than beautiful vistas and small towns.' Mr. Bateman continues, 'I was deeply moved by the many strangers I talked to along the way, who shared with me their strikingly sad recollections growing up without ever hearing their father's voice. Their stories gave me the inspiration for a unique series of books that could be a kind of solace for that hurting soul.'

"Bateman's plan is simple, yet profound in scope. He will use his journey hiking along the A.T. as a means for interviewing people of all ages and all walks of life, journaling each person's recollections of sage advice passed down from a father figure from their own past -- and compiling those same responses into a book form for fatherless children called, 'My Father's Voice'."
Good luck with it all, Spanky! But here's something to think about: while you'll be crossing many state borders on the A.T., most people think of 'across America' (cf. press release title) as an east-west or west-east hike, not a north-south one. I know, picky, picky, picky!

No comments: