Thursday, July 26, 2007

Comparison on Cooking Terms

I'm not sure this article even rates a mention here except that it mentions the Appalachian Trail. And it does so in the context of something important to hikers: food.

That said, the Cincinnati Post article by food editor Joyce Rosencrans in their 25 July 2007 issue titled "Onions roasted over coals win prize" caught my eye because of its opening. Rosencrans writes:
"As high-tech gadgets continue to cut off humans from the sights and sounds of nature, I find that I'm more drawn to simple, primitive cooking. I'm not about to hike the Appalachian trail with a backpack of beef jerky, but I am definitely having an extreme overreaction to the marketing of pro-style kitchen appliances for huge kitchens with granite-topped islands the size of the Granite State, which is New Hampshire."
The rest of the article is about the excesses of some cooking folks, and about "campfire" (as in drive directly to the campsite and have your fire within sight of the car) cooking. But I kind of liked that beginning anyway.

On the other hand, there are LOTS of better things to eat along the Trail than beef jerky.

No comments: