Sunday, January 22, 2012

What IS Thru-Hiking Really Like?

The Coloradoan.com, a Gannett News site, carries the 21 January 2012 column by Tim Nielsen titled "Appalachian Trail takes hiking to extremes." In it, Nielsen lists or describes pretty much all the stresses of thru-hiking, including the weather, the ups and downs, the long green tunnel, the smell, the insects, the cost ("$1.50 to $2.50 a mile") and the tedium
It also is said that life is different on the trail. Really? With an itinerary consisting of wake up, cook breakfast, break camp, walk 15 miles, stop, make camp, eat dinner, sleep, repeat 150 times, this sounds pretty routine to me.
But I can't make up my mind whether he's writing tongue in cheek, trying to keep the amateurs off the Trail, or is serious. his closign pragraph reads: "I do wish people well who attempt and complete this journey. I am just not sold on the idea, yet."

What do you think? Serious?

No comments: