Thursday, December 27, 2007

Hiker Lost Weight Before His Hike

The story in the 25 December 2007 Bainbridge, GA Post-Searchlight, written by Rod McDowell and titled "Little Things to a Life Change," is mostly about McDowell's recent major weight loss. It wasn't magic, of course, just diet and exercise, diet and exercise.

But what was interesting to me was the 'reward' he gave himself at the end of a 'Team Lean contest' wherein groups of overweight people compete with each other to lose the most unhealthy weight. McDowell writes:
"Toward the end of Team Lean, I decided I would reward myself with a hike on the Appalachian Trail. I was in great shape, having gone from 288 to 225, and I felt I was ready to join the legions that trek the nation's longest footpath.

"I think it is very important to have a vision for your newfound fitness once the bulk of your weight loss work is done. So often, people relax, get back to their old ways and let their bodies down after making them healthier. By keeping yourself motivated, you can maintain the vigor with which you strove to lose weight; whatever that motivation may have been.

"As I began to prepare for my hiking venture, I continued my strict diet and workout regimen, spending more and more time at the YMCA, constantly feeling like I was running for that light at the end of the tunnel."
Which is how he ended up on Cheoah Bald at the end of a two week plus hike waiting for his two buddies to catch up with him.

No comments: