Friday, July 09, 2004

New Book Review for Hunter Irvine

I don't know whether there's a new edition on Hunter Irvine's "One Pair of Boots" out on the market (ISBN 1-928590-02-0), but he garnered a positive review in today's "Summit Daily News" (for Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper, and Frisco Colorado). The review by Austin Diaz says that it "reads like a travel journal with conversational flair." Diaz is right that it's a quick read. It might bring back memories for some folks, or probably will for that matter, as any hiking narrative will. When I read the book about a year or so ago, I remember thinking that the book really tailed off toward the end. Maybe the author was in trudge mode for the last few states. I also see that I wrote in the margin at one place "I've about had it with his using the passive voice."

That said, it's still worth at least picking up a library copy if you haven't read this one.

Irvine hiked in 1990 (8 April--18 September).

No comments: